- Chair and Co-chair
Chair: University of California Santa Cruz
Co-chair: Zagazig University
- Role of Pillar
The Research pillar is the second Pillar under the umbrella of Center of Excellence, the research pillar has the title of “High Quality Applied Research” that clearly emphasis its main goal which is to catalyze long-term improvement in Egyptian water resources management by improving its innovative applied research and implementing the concept of applied research by linking the three concerned sectors: academics, research and industry. The Research pillar will highlight Egypt water research needs through the National Water agenda. The following figure illustrates the structure of the Research and Policy Committee, the integration of the many water sector disciplines and leveraging the existing research knowledge base. This pillar will create processes and infrastructure to administer a long-term water research program that builds Egypt’s existing capacity to perform water research. This pillar will be led by the UCSC in collaboration with Zagazig University.
- Activities of Pillar
The action plan of the pillar is designed to lift the research pillar goals. The action plan adopts the following activities:
- Centre of Excellence under the research pillar is expecting to fund at least 40 research projects of High Qualified Applied Research. The aim of the grants will be to provide support for essential innovative research activities and research capacity improvements.
- The pillar will design a National Water Research Roadmap; an investment plan aimed at highest priority applied research and research capacity investments. The RPC will update the Roadmap annually. International Symposium on Water Research.
- There will be an annual conference hosted in the first year by the AWR-COE at AU and then rotated to the other EPUs. It will showcase Egyptian research funded by the Center as well as research and advancements in the water sector by scientists across Egypt and internationally (including other USAID-funded COEs). Each year a Symposium Proceedings will be published and widely disseminated.
- The pillar will adopt “Additional Studies” Several studies, guided by the Council, will address specific areas of need such as linking Egyptian universities with regional and local (community) water research needs, integrating Egyptian women and disabled persons into the water workforce, creating multiple funding sources (including private industry) for ongoing water research, and improving the governance of Egyptian water research at both the university and government levels.
- How pillar serves the community
- It is essential that Egypt revitalize its water research enterprise. This pillar will create processes and infrastructure to administer a long-term water research program that builds Egypt’s existing capacity to perform water research. The Pillar will serve the needs of the Egyptian people and economy, including industry, and support the government to face water challenges, develop policy, and prepare a next generation of graduates and entrepreneurs to be change agents that stimulate economic growth.